Skip to main content

HEROINE- the time then and the time now

Wednesday Sept. 19. I got up early in the morning and like any other Delhiite got hold of the Delhi Times and started flipping through the pages. Well, before I could even flip through to the second page, my eyes were struck with a beautiful picture of Soha Ali Khan in the front page. That was her look in Deepa Mehta’s upcoming release, ‘Midnights children’. Quite frankly, I was glued to that picture for the next 20 minutes or so. There was something ethereal about the whole look. It was hard to pin down just one particular thing or quality about the pic which made it stand out of the whole lot. I kept looking on and on. And then! Finally rang the bell. Yes. The innocence. The vulnerability. The mystic. The mystery. How could I not see it?  

People often claim that the heroines of the yesteryears used to radiate a certain charm, much of it could be attributed to that quality of innocence which they bring to their on-screen personas. May it be Madhubala from ‘Mughal-E-Azam’, Nargis from ‘Shree 420’, Meena Kumari from ‘Pakeeza’ or Sharmila Tagore from ‘Anuradha’.  However with the beginning of the 70’s era, heroines started getting wrapped up in controversies.  Don’t we know how much fuss was made of Simi Garewal in ‘Mera Naam Joker’, Zeenat Aman in ‘Satyam Shivam Sundaram’ or Mandakini in ‘Ram Teri Ganga Maili’, all of them accused of showing off bare skin in their movies? In fact most of the heroines from Raj Kapoor’s film production company had to face such allegations. Apparently the man himself wasn’t spared either (accused of not letting his heroines wear a bra).  

Fully dressed, minimally dressed or undressed- these were the parameters for measuring one’s so-called on-screen ‘innocence’.  

Let’s just try giving it a thought, and recollect some of the names from the 80’s-90's -- Sridevi from ‘Mr. India’- portraying a single, working woman, completely on her own in a city like Mumbai, mostly dressed up in skirts and blouse with an occasional translucent chiffon sari when it’s pouring cats and dogs (I do not intend to mock at her. For me, she redefined vivaciousness in that song). Did not her character have a certain innocent quality to it? Shabana Azmi from 'Masoom', Smita Patil from 'Namak Halal' or Meenakshi Shashadri from ‘Damini’- playful, charming, even occasionally flirtatious and apparently an iconoclastic Indian woman who goes all the way for justice (Frankly, there were problems in this too. But we shall not go there). There was a certain naughty streak to her character, and so was in the one played by Madhuri Dixit in ‘Hum apke hain kaun’- practically a brat, ‘khurafati’ to be precise. How could we forget Tabu in ‘Astitva’, accused of infamy by her husband for having borne a child from her dance teacher before marriage and having kept it concealed from her husband even after. Quite frankly, Tabu’s character for me radiated a never-ever-found innocence- vulnerable and believable. What innocence are people talking about? Didn’t Meena Kumari play a courtesan too, a profession not highly valued or considered prestigious in the Indian society, whichever generation it might be?  

I cannot help mentioning this. If for a moment, one forgets the preposterous body of work Kareena Kapoor has presented in her entire career and focus only on her performance in ‘Refugee’ which I think is her best till date and which she hasn’t been able to reproduce, did not her character there look equally believable and portrayed with conviction? There is honestly a never-ending list of actresses who still succeed in holding that innocence even today. I can come up with a thousand names right here right now. Karisma Kapoor from ‘Zubeida’, Vidya Balan from ‘Parineeta’ or even Illeana d’cruz from the currently running
‘Barfi’- classic, enigmatic and almost ethereal.  

You know what, that spark is still alive. All we need to do is just find it and remember that at the end of the day, it is people like you and me who define the standards for ‘innocence’.  

Photo courtesy: 
http://www.indicine.com/images/gallery/bollywood/movies/midnights-children/73444-9-large.jpg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BELIEF

This happened a year back. I didn’t make it to the first merit list of a college I had interviewed in. I had been instead waitlisted. I called up my dad to give him the news, and in came the answer from his side, “Don’t worry beta. Believe in Sai. He will set everything right.”  I couldn’t help smiling at the way he said it, with so much conviction and, perhaps, blind faith that anybody would feel like believing in it, unless ofcourse one is vehemently sceptic. At one level, it is his helplessness which prompts him to surrender to an unknown presence (maybe ‘absence’ is the right word) which he ‘thinks’ will magically let everything fall into place. It honestly beats my imagination and understanding of the scenario. However, it also doesn’t leave me without some food for thought.  I too have turned into a sceptic over the last few years, which by the way is enormously disturbing to my parents. But I must confess I have not been able to choose a path yet. I call myself a...

She knows not...

She waits… She waits… For what, she knows not For whom, she knows not… She waits… She waits… In vain… For what she gains, she knows not For what awaits, she knows not… Kindles a joy….but what she knows not Kindles a fear…. but what she knows not…. Lives a nightmare…. Ghastly she knows not… Lives a dream… nightmarish she knows not… With bated breath… scaling the breadth…. Damning her fate… Why she knows not…. For how long, she knows not… For if there was a leaf, she would squeeze it in her palms, How, she knows not…. Numb shall leave her the crumple, Why, she knows not... She yearns for something she knows not, or maybe she yearns, but she knows not… Longing for someone’s touch? She knows not… Waiting for someone’s…. what, she knows not….

LEVEL ONE- cleared

The clock strikes 6. I wake up. Reluctant. Hesitant to leave my warm cosy blanket. Who would want to. It’s a long day ahead. And the thought of it is killing me already. My first official day at college and there is an hour and a half to travel. And that too on a DTC bus! For people who have never travelled in one, thank your stars. The experience grills you beyond anything. Pretty nerve-wrecking for someone who has spent her entire life travelling in a school bus, that literally picked her up from her door-step and dropped her back at the same place, safe and sound. Someone who has only heard of the (in) famous Blue line buses. That is enough to shake her confidence. My dad drops me at the bus depot. I hop on to the bus that will take me to the Kashmere Gate metro station. There, I am to board the metro to my college.   Just a quick glance through the people sitting in the bus and I am nervous already. My heart pounding. Really hard. And I feel lost...