Skip to main content

FRENZY


‘Actions speak louder than words’ -goes an old saying. Quite literally that is where it belongs- the old times. Today, only those are paid heed who are loud enough to be heard. Barking dogs might seldom bite but they bark hard enough to knock you off the hook!


This is yet again borne out of my personal experience. Travelling in Delhi has sort of acquainted me with the local flavour and the local tevar! Hooligans and lafanders of all shapes and sizes (no pun intended) and in all hues and colours. From the cycle-rickshaw walas to the auto walas to the phatphat seva drivers (oh yes! If you’re in Delhi and you haven’t had a taste of this seva, you are missing out on a lot!). There is a very popular saying- Do not walk like you are the king; walk like you don’t care who is the king. These people take it a little too seriously. There isn’t a soul on this (union) territory who isn’t cursing these men. Riders here don’t negotiate, they literally plead before them. “Bhaiya pleeeease bees le lo!! Chutte nahi hai…” In fact I have even gone so far as to showing my empty batwa just to justify my broke state at times.

Step into the University campus and the next moment you are greeted with the annoying fleet of rickshaw walas, streaming in from all possible directions you can imagine. There is just no escaping these men baby! If you’re even under the slightest impression that you can fool them and get away with a low fare, well then do drop in here and have a look at the early morning frenzy; it is bound to leave you breathless, if anything. In my early days, my dad used to send me loaded with instructions that whenever there comes across a nagging auto or rickshaw wala, answer him back with a quick retort “Hum to bhaiya roz ate hain yahan… hume rate pata hai yahan ka!” To my utter dismay, with time even this statement lost its impact and I realised that by saying this, I was being anything but smart.  One thing was clear. It was hard to fool these men, because they very well knew who travels regularly via which route and who doesn’t.

The adventure doesn’t end here.  Have you ever been to Pallika Bazar? Well if no, do pay a visit for you might just end up finding your estranged relatives there.  Oh yes. The bonds, the connections and the emotions just ooze out of every nook and corner. The shopkeepers talk like they have known you from the last 15 years. Just a rapid scan of your body and they know which size fits your body type best. Embarrassing and creepy at the same time.

That just reminds me of a stranger who crossed my way once in the metro station. I was climbing up the stairs, quite lost in my own world and didn’t realise that this guy had been constantly watching me for the past few minutes…well not exactly me but my birth mark!! Unable to contain his patience anymore, he asked me at once what was that mark on my face. I said it’s my birth mark, and he came up with this enlightening and profound remark-- “People with such marks are verrry lucky!” So here we go. Soothsayers and Fortune tellers on the go, for free! I must add, nothing comes for free today. I was indeed lucky.

There is no end to the creepiness and the ‘heartfelt’ concern people show one here. Seriously. Take for example, if you are a girl and in a dilemma as to what should be the appropriate length of your skirt or the depth of your neckline, people are more than eager to help; and that is just the tip of the iceberg I say.

Quite frankly, this frenzy engulfs you, like it or not. You don’t make it a part of your being. You become a part of it rather.    

Image courtesy: http://www.demotix.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/a_scale_large/1000-7/photos/1328937169-in-pictures:-the-poverty-and-chaos-of-old-delhi_1045127.jpg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BELIEF

This happened a year back. I didn’t make it to the first merit list of a college I had interviewed in. I had been instead waitlisted. I called up my dad to give him the news, and in came the answer from his side, “Don’t worry beta. Believe in Sai. He will set everything right.”  I couldn’t help smiling at the way he said it, with so much conviction and, perhaps, blind faith that anybody would feel like believing in it, unless ofcourse one is vehemently sceptic. At one level, it is his helplessness which prompts him to surrender to an unknown presence (maybe ‘absence’ is the right word) which he ‘thinks’ will magically let everything fall into place. It honestly beats my imagination and understanding of the scenario. However, it also doesn’t leave me without some food for thought.  I too have turned into a sceptic over the last few years, which by the way is enormously disturbing to my parents. But I must confess I have not been able to choose a path yet. I call myself a...

She knows not...

She waits… She waits… For what, she knows not For whom, she knows not… She waits… She waits… In vain… For what she gains, she knows not For what awaits, she knows not… Kindles a joy….but what she knows not Kindles a fear…. but what she knows not…. Lives a nightmare…. Ghastly she knows not… Lives a dream… nightmarish she knows not… With bated breath… scaling the breadth…. Damning her fate… Why she knows not…. For how long, she knows not… For if there was a leaf, she would squeeze it in her palms, How, she knows not…. Numb shall leave her the crumple, Why, she knows not... She yearns for something she knows not, or maybe she yearns, but she knows not… Longing for someone’s touch? She knows not… Waiting for someone’s…. what, she knows not….

LEVEL ONE- cleared

The clock strikes 6. I wake up. Reluctant. Hesitant to leave my warm cosy blanket. Who would want to. It’s a long day ahead. And the thought of it is killing me already. My first official day at college and there is an hour and a half to travel. And that too on a DTC bus! For people who have never travelled in one, thank your stars. The experience grills you beyond anything. Pretty nerve-wrecking for someone who has spent her entire life travelling in a school bus, that literally picked her up from her door-step and dropped her back at the same place, safe and sound. Someone who has only heard of the (in) famous Blue line buses. That is enough to shake her confidence. My dad drops me at the bus depot. I hop on to the bus that will take me to the Kashmere Gate metro station. There, I am to board the metro to my college.   Just a quick glance through the people sitting in the bus and I am nervous already. My heart pounding. Really hard. And I feel lost...